Hi readers, I'm back with a simple recipe of a fast side dish for poori / chapati / dosa or idli. I made this last week to accompany my mini poori. Just this one side dish and it was so satisfying!!. Come on, let's check out the clicks and recipe.
^ POTATO MASALA WITH CABBAGE & CARROT ^
3 large potatoes - peeled, cubed and boiled in salt added water till well cooked.
1 bowl of chopped cabbage
1/3 bowl of cubed carrot
1/2 tsp - turmeric powder
3 - bird's eye chillies / fresh red chillies ~ i used bird's eye chilly :-)
2 tbsp - chopped cilantro ~ optional
salt to taste
1 tbsp - corn flour mixed with a little water
ghee ~ optional
1/2 tsp - fennel seeds
3 - dried chillies ~ break into two
1/2 tsp - mustard seeds
a pinch of asafetida
1 large onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - pounded
- First heat up a little canola/cooking oil in a deep wok.
- Throw in chopped onions, pounded garlic and fry till lightly browned.
- Then add in the balance tempering ingredients and reduce the flame.
- At this moment add in the bird's eye chilli, cabbage and carrot and give it a stir.
- dash it up with the turmeric powder and mix again. leave it for about a minute before you add in water for the gravy. I added water about 1 cup just enough to cook up the cabbage and carrot. Season with salt and leave it to cook covered with lid.
- Check if the cabbage and carrot are well cooked before adding in the boiled potato cubes.
- Stir gently ensuring that you don't break up the potato cubes. I mashed up a few potato cubes before adding into the wok to give it a creamier texture. Check the seasoning and adjust if need to.
- Lastly add in the chopped cilantro, corn flour mixture and stir once more to mix well. I too added a tbsp of ghee to give it a nice aroma and taste.
- Now the POTATO MASALA is ready to be served!! :-)