Hi friends, if you've been following up my updates on my FACEBOOK PAGE last weekend I have posted some photos of my version of ROASTED CHICKEN RICE. Today let me share with you the recipe and more photos of it.
Though, it's been sometime since I made Roasted Chicken Rice at home, but I was satisfied with the end result coz my boys ate without any complaint and Mr. Hubby complimented me! YIPPIIEEE !!! :-)
I used two whole chicken legs but you may adjust to whole chicken or half as per your liking.
^ ROASTED CHICKEN RICE ^
2 whole chicken legs with skin
ginger 3cm ~ sliced thinly
garlic ~ 3 cloves
2 - chicken stock cube
3 to 4 cups - water
dark soy sauce ~ 1 tbsp
light soy sauce ~ as needed
honey ~ 1/2 tbsp
1 tsp - paprika ~ optional
- In a deep pot add required water for the stock and throw in the sliced ginger and halved garlic cloves.
- When the water start to boil add in the chicken stock cube and the cleaned chicken whole legs.
- Cover with lid but slightly open a bit and let it cook for about 20mins.
- Once the chicken legs are cooked, off the stove and transfer the chicken legs onto a wire rack to drain out any excess liquid out of it.
- Meantime in a small bowl add in all the chicken marinate ingredients and mix well. Rub it in and out of the chicken skin and all over and leave aside on the wire rack with the fan on to dry out the chicken skin. This is to ensure that you get a crispy chicken skin once you fry it.
- Heat oil in a deep wok and lightly fry the chicken legs till the skin gets a nice golden brown colour.
- Transfer onto the wire rack again to drain out any excess oil and keep aside.
- Use half of the chicken stock for the soup and the balance half to cook the rice.
- As for the soup I just boiled the stock with some celery stick in it to give it a nice taste and aroma and later garnish it with chopped spring onion/scallion before serving. You may discard the celery stick after boil.
3 cups basmathi rice - soaked in water for 15 to 20 mins
butter - as needed
chicken stock ~ as needed
ginger - sliced
garlic - chopped
- Wash the rice and drain out any excess water.
- In a pot heat up about 2 to 3 tbsp of butter and add in the sliced ginger and chopped garlic. Fry till aromatic and add in the drained rice and mix well.
- Next transfer the whole thing into the rice cooker and add in sufficient chicken stock for the rice to cook. Since the rice been soaked earlier do not add too much as the rice might turn out to be overcooked! Adjust the amount of chicken stock as per your method of cooking rice. I added about 1 1/2 cup more for the 3 cups of rice...so total was 4 1/2 cups!!
- Once rice is cooked, let it be on the keep warm mode for about 5 mins before you switch off the plug.
4 fresh red chilly - chopped
2 garlic cloves
3 cm ginger
1 lime - squeeze out the juice
chicken stock - as needed
tips :- you may add in 1 or 2 red bird's eye chilly to make it spicier!!
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend it to a smooth paste. I made my dip into a thick paste as I don't enjoy watery dips!! :-)
Soy Sauce Mixture ~ for garnishing
5 cloves of garlic - chopped
light soy sauce
dark soy sauce
fried shallots - optional
- Fry the chopped garlic in oil till golden brown in colour and crispy.
- In a bowl add in the fried garlic with its oil (about 1or 2 tbsp), thick soy sauce, light soy sauce and fried shallot (I didn't use).
- Mix well and keep aside.
To serve the ROASTED CHICKEN RICE
- Cut the roasted chicken leg into medium size.
- On a serving plate arrange some sliced tomatos and japanese cucumber and on top of that arrange the chicken pieces. Pour over a generous amount of the Soy Sauce Mixture and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve the rice on a separate plate along with the soup and the sambal dip.
- Enjoy it while its warm. VOILA!!