Hi all, my sincere apology for being missing in action for a long time now. I really wish I could post up something earlier but time did not permit me to do so. My kids been unwell and admitted in the hospital. Both are recovering and thank you so much to those who have been checking on me. I truly appreciate it. Your support keeps me going. Thank you once again!! :-)
I'm back with CHICKEN SOUP which has been in my folder for sometime now. Lets check out my version of this delicious soup which requires simple ingredients and it's easy to make. The soup tasted so good that Hubby requested me to make again this soup using mutton :-)
^ CHICKEN SOUP ^
350gms - chicken meat with bone (I used chicken thigh)
1 - carrot ~ cut into medium size
2 - potato ~ peeled and cut into similar size as carrot
1/2 cup - chopped parsley/daun sup
1 - large ripe tomato ~ cut into wedges
ginger garlic paste ~ as required
1/3 cup - pounded shallots
1 - kuib pati ayam knorr / chicken stock cube (you may use any brand)
1/2 tsp - turmeric powder
1 tsp - cumin powder
2 tbsp - soup powder ~ I used homemade soup powder. You may use adabi/baba's/ any other brands
water as needed
fried shallots - for garnishing
spices - cinnamon/kayu manis (1)
- star anise/bunga lawang (2)
- cardamon / buah pelaga (2)
- fennel seeds / jintan manis (1 tspn ~ pounded)
(you may tie up all the spices in a muslin cloth and drop it into the soup if you don't like biting onto any of the spices while having the soup)
- Clean the cut chicken pieces in running water. Drain and set aside
- Heat up very little oil in a deep pot and add in the pounded shallots and all spices. I didn't tie my spices in muslin cloth coz I prefer it this way :-)
- Once the shallot is a little browned add in the chicken pieces along with ginger garlic paste ( I added about 3 tbsp) turmeric powder, cumin powder and the soup powder. Sprinkle little salt and mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook for about 5 mins with low flame checking once a while so that the chicken doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove lid . Add in required water for the soup and give it a stir. (I added about 3 to 4 cups)
- Throw in the tomato wedges, carrot and potato. Also add in the chicken stock cube.
- Let the soup come to a boil and you will notice the tomatoes will disappear leaving behind only its skin and taste in the soup. It gives the soup a nice tangy taste and I just love it.
- by the time the potato and carrots is cooked, the chicken will be cooked too.
- Add in the chopped parsley and turn of the stove,
- Cover the lid only partially so that the parsley doesn't turn into blackish colour. Sprinkle with some fried shallots before serving to give it extra flavour.
- Serve hot with dinner rolls or rice. ENJOY!!
Note : The homemade soup powder which I used for this recipe is the same soup powder which I used to make my MINT MASALA CHICKEN BRIYANI