Pournami is an auspicious day for Hindus. Pournami vrathams during the month of aadi, kartigai, vaikasi and maasi are said to be special. Some people fast on this day and take food only after seeing the moon after the evening prayers.Some too will opt to have fruits, milk and water during the fasting.
I made Kesari as the naivedyam for the pournami prayers at home. It's not only easy to make but requires simple ingredients which are mostly available at any kitchen pantry. I was like a superwomen making this coz after the prayers at home I planned to take my boys to the nearby temple to join in the pournami pooja there.....I wished my legs had a wheel so that I could skate around in the house....hahahaha!!
The kesari turn out so yummy.....I loved the colour that I got...I mixed some orange and yellow colour and the end result was lovely!!
Check out my clicks and super simple recipe....do dry roast your rawa/suji till aromatic and during dry roasting don't leave the suji unattended even for a few seconds or it might get burnt.
^ KESARI ^
1 cup - rawa/suji - dry roasted and leave to cool
cashewnuts & raisins - fried lightly in ghee and chopped
ghee - as needed
3 1/2 cups - water
sugar - as needed
3 - cardamons
1/2 tsp - salt ~ optional
food colour - yellow / orange ~i mixed both :-)
- In a deep pan, add in the water, cardamon, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- When the sugar has dissolved, removed the cardamons and add in the food coloring.
- Lastly add in the roasted rawa little by little and using a fork keep stirring so that there's no lump.
- Once there's no lump you may use a normal wooden spatula to mix the kesari till it gets harden. Add in required ghee and half of the raisins & cashwenuts and mix again.
- Meantime, spread over some ghee on a deep plate or cake pan. I used a baking sheet so that the kesari can be removed easily later.
- Transfer the kesari to the plate/pan and spread well. Top it with the balance cashewnuts and raisins and pat gently so that the nuts and raisins sticks on top of the kesari n doesn't fall off when it's sliced later.
- Keep aside for it to cool.
- Cut into desired shape and serve. Yummyyyy!!!