Hello friends.....I have been away for about a month or more now. So many things to do....celebration after celebration, my office shifted to a new building and many more....nearly all weekends been occupied and finally today here I am with a post on one of my family's favourite..... BLACK PEPPER FRIED NOODLES / MEE GORENG BASAH LADA HITAM!!
Both my parents love this too especially my father. I always prefer to make mine a little saucy and spicy!! :-)
500gms - yellow noodles / mee kuning
200gms - chicken fillet ~ cut into medium size
10 - fishballs ~fried and cut into half
1 - fishcake ~ fried and sliced thick
1 small bunch - choy sum / sawi ~ cut into 1 inch long (i used the one with white stem coz thats all i had in my fridge)
1 - medium sized red onion ~ chop and pound
3 cloves - garlic ~ pounded
3 tbsp - fried onion
1 - red/green chilly ~ sliced medium
2 tbsp - chilly paste / cili giling
4 tbsp - dark soya sauce
2 tbsp - chilly sauce
4 tbsp - light soya sauce
3 tbsp - oyster sauce
2 tsp - black pepper powder (adjust to ur taste and if using ground black pepper ensure that its pounded fine)
1 tsp - white pepper powder
salt to taste
Egg omelette - cut into long stripes
sliced red chilly ~ i didn't have stock
coriander leaves - chopped ~ i didn't have stock
- Marinate the chicken fillets with a dash of white pepper, light soya sauce and a little cornflour. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a wok. Add in the chicken pieces and fry till cooked and transfer to a plate.
- Using the same oil, add in the pounded onion and garlic. Fry till aromatic.
- Lower the flame and add in the chilly paste. Fry till oil separates from the paste.
- Add about 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Mix in all the other sauce ingredients and stir well.
- Throw in the sliced red/green chilly, green mustard stems, halved fish balls, sliced fish cakes and fried chicken fillets.
- Bring to a boil and once the fish balls are cooked, lower the flame and add in the yellow noodles.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water if needed.
- Check your seasoning again. Adjust your seasoning if needed to.
- Cook using medium flame. Stir the noodles so that it gets well coated with the gravy.
- Cook covered for about 3 to 5 mins. This is to ensure the noodles get cooked evenly.
- Remove lid, add in the green mustard leaves and fried onion. Give one last stir.
- Transfer to serving plate and garnish with the egg omelette and sliced red chilly.
- Serve immediately. Yum yum yummy!!!
Here are some images of CHOY SUM from Mr. Google...
and for those who aren't sure of what is yellow noodles, here u go...tq mr. google for the photos!!