Hi everyone...how are you today?? It's been a marvelous weekend for me.....spent some quality time with my siblings and beloved nieces and nephews!! We were all so happy and it feels great today to share my happiness with all of you......Saturday, Sunday and even today is a continuous Birthday celebration for my niece and nephews.....Wishing the three of you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY and may you always be blessed with good health and lots of happiness always!!
Bought a Asian Sea Bass or locally called as Siakap fish from TESCO hypermarket yesterday and decided to steam it with some bird's eye chillies of course...Love it better if I could get the 'cili padi kampung' which is short and red in colour.....I added in lots of ginger and garlic to this recipe to get ride of the fishy smell and it also to enhances the taste of the fish....and finally some deep fried shallots as a finishing and the fish was finger licking good.....
We had it with hot white rice, onion egg omelette and sambal sotong @ cuttlefish in spicy chilly gravy courtesy of my mum. I added extra scallions and cilantro as the topping since I didn't make any vegetable side dish for the steam fish.....as you can see in the photo....the fish is all covered with the toppings.....some of you may even wonder which part is the tail and which part is the head of the fish...:-)
1 - siakap / sea bass fish ~ cleaned & pat dry
3 tbsp - fried shallots
1 small bunch - cilantro / coriander leaf ~ chopped
1 small bunch - scallion - chopped
3 tbsp - chopped ginger
2 tbsp - chopped garlic
6 - bird's eye chilly - chopped ~ adjust to your taste
light soy sauce - according to taste
2 tbsp - sesame oil
1 tbsp - shallot oil ~ oil used to fry the shallot
1 tsp - sugar ~ I used light brown sugar (golden brown)
- Rub some oyster sauce (2 to 3 tbsp) in and out of the fish. I had mine cut into butterfly shape for easy steaming.
- Then rub about 2 tbsp of corn flour onto the fish and leave it aside.
- Heat some water in a large wok and close the wok with its cover.
- When the water is boiling place the fish in a tray and steam it for about 8 to 10 mins.
- Discard and excess water from the fish once the cooking time is over.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and add in 3 tbsp of hot water into the sauce. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce all over the fish and steam for further 3 minutes.
- Add in the fried shallots, chopped scallion and cilantro. Steam for another 2 minutes serve immediately.