This is a famous dish among families with younger children. Its my favourite too......I love both fish or chicken cooked this way.....You can omit the spices if you wish too.....I love mine with bird's eye chilly to give it the extra uummpphhhh.....but of course since I have to feed this to my children as well...I have to reduce the amount of chilly. Nevertheless it tasted good to me.....the added spices gave it a nice taste and aroma...Alrite then, time to check out the ingredients.....:-)
^ SPICED DARK SAUCE FISH / IKAN MASAK KICAP BEREMPAH ^
4-5 blocks of fish ~ I used spanish mackerel/ikan tenggiri
1 - big onion ~ sliced
2 tspn - chopped garlic
1 - large ripe tomato ~ cut into wedges
2 tsp - fennel seeds ~ dry roast & pounded
2 tsp - coriander seeds ~ dry roast and pounded
1 - small bunch scallion ~ cut into 1 inch long
3 tsp - tamarind paste
2 tbsp - fish curry powder
2 tsp - chilly powder
1 tsp - cumin powder
3 - bird's eye chilly ~ slit open lengthwise
2 tbsp - dark soya sauce
2 tbsp - oyster sauce
3 tbsp - sweet soya sauce
salt to taste
water as needed
- Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and salt to the fish block. Deep fry until its cooked and crispy on the outside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a wok. Add in the onion and garlic.
- Fry till the aromatic and add in the tomato and bird's eye chilly.
- Reduce the flame and add in the fish curry powder, chilly powder & cumin powder. Fry till the raw smell goes off and add in 1-2 cups of water.
- Season with dark soya sauce, oyster sauce, sweet soya sauce and salt.
- Let it come to a boil and add in the tamarind paste.
- Stir well and add in the fried fish blocks.
- Cook further to 2-3 minutes and check the seasoning.
- Add in the chopped scallions.
- Stir gently and transfer to serving plate.
- Serve with hot white rice.