KEERAI MASIYAL is a very healthy dish for those who love green vegetables. I used green spinach. This was my first attempt making Keerai Masiyal.....it's rich green colour attracted me. Simple ingredients and hassle free cooking.....check out the clicks friends....I guess I added a little too much of the melted ghee together with the tempering.......so that explains the oily looking surface on the masiyal :-)
^ KEERAI MASIYAL ^
1 bunch - spinach ~ washed and chopped
6 - garlic cloves ~ add more if you wish too
3 tsp - tamarind paste
2 tsp - cumin powder
salt to taste
4 - shallots ~ finely chopped
3 - dried chilly ~ break into two
1 tsp -mixed mustard seeds
1 tsp - hing powder
ghee - according to taste
- Add in the chopped spinach, salt, cumin powder, garlic and about 1/2 cup water into a pot. Cover and bring to a slow boil.
- Once the spinach turns bright green in colour, off the stove and drain the water.(keep the water aside)
- Allow to cool, transfer the cooked spinach into the blender and blend into a smooth paste.
- Transfer to serving bowl and make the tempering.
- Add a tbsp of oil and throw in the chopped shallots, dry chillies, curry leaves, hing and the mixed mustard seeds. When the shallots turns slightly brown, add the tempering to the masiyal.
- Lastly add in the melted ghee and Keerai Masiyal is ready to be served .
- We had it with hot white rice, papadam and deep fried tenggiri fish. (spanish mackerel).....
To all my beloved Hindu friends & followers,