This fried rice comes handy to me when there is not much of ingredients left in my fridge plus its usually made meatless. As i was on leave last Monday, I cooked this for my boys along with ONION EGG DROP SOUP for lunch. I reduced the amount of chilly for the fried rice and also added some vegetables into the soup. It was a perfect lunch for my toddlers!!
JAVANESE FRIED RICE recipe came from one of my old malay neighbour. That Makcik@Aunty use to make this for breakfast for her family. The pounding sound from her mortar and pestle could be clearly heard from my house kitchen and not to forget the aroma of it......I love it. Its simple but very tasty!! For those anchovy lovers, you should try this recipe. You may top it with a Fried Egg and Fish Crackers. I made Onion Egg Drop Soup instead of Fried Egg in order to add some vegetables to my toddlers' lunch menu plus I had no stock of fish crackers :-(
2 plates - cold cooked rice
1/3 cup - anchovies ~ soaked in hot water *
4 shallots/1 medium red onion - sliced*
red chilly/dried chilly ~ according to your taste * (I used 3 dried chillies)
2 cloves - garlic *
1/2 tsp - shrimp paste/belacan
2 - eggs ~ lightly beaten
coriander leaves ~ for garnishing
3-4 tbsp - sweet soya sauce (adjust to your taste)
1 tsp - white pepper powder
salt to taste
- Pound together the drained anchovies, shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and dried chilly together into a semi smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a large wok. Add in the pounded paste and fry using low flame to avoid it get burned.
- Add in the rice and mix well. Season with sweet soya sauce, salt and white pepper powder.
- Add a little oil and pour in the beaten eggs. let it cook for a minute before giving it a gentle stir. Cook the fried rice for atleast 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Dish out and serve immediately. Yummy!!
Here's a click of the Onion Egg Drop Soup. Its a simple soup with onions, cauliflower, carrot and eggs of course. Simply good especially in cold weather!