Hello!! I'm back with some new recipes to share with all of you today.....Yesterday was a public holiday in Malaysia celebrating HARI MALAYSIA on the 16th of September. I was enjoying my long weekend break with family and of course with some nice food to treat our hungry tummies!! :-)
I made CHI KUT TEH using the ready-made packets available at any grocery/hypermarkets. I made it specially for my eldest son....he loves soup anytime especially this one!! I also added some boiled eggs to cater my toddlers. Actually CHI KUT TEH is originated from BAH KUT TEH (translated as "Pork Bone Tea") which consists of pork ribs in a fragrant broth of herbs and spices.
CHI KUT TEH is made using chicken meat. Its added with shitake mushroom, button mushrooms, dried tofu puffs, lettuce and served in a clay pot.Usually served with white rice, fried shallots and cakoi@chinese fried bread stick - long golden brown deep fried strip of dough. Tks to Mr. Wikipedia for the cakoi info :-)
There's also a dry version of CHI KUT TEH made using the cooked chicken meat from the CKT and its broth, dried squids, ladies finger and dried chillies, bird's eye chilly and dark soya sauce. It has a thick dark gravy andfull of flavour. My husband's favourite but I didn't have much time to make this one coz had some other chores to finish up that day....next time yah !! :-)
It was a simple yet tasty lunch treat for my family. We had it with cakoi and rice topped with crispy fried shallots.......simple delicious!!
Here's the recipe.
^ CHI KUT TEH ^
1 kg chicken meat
2 sachets of Claypot brand Bah Kut Teh soup base
2 whole bulbs - garlic ~ do not peel
50g - shitake mushroom ~ soak in hot water for 20 mins and cut the stem off
50g - button mushroom
2 - hard boiled chicken eggs ~ I wanted to use quail eggs but no stock :-(
5 - fried tofu puffs ~ cut each into two
3 tbsp - dark soya sauce
3 tbsp - light soya sauce
1 tbsp - oyster sauce
1/2 tsp -ground white pepper
2 litres - water
salt to taste
- Using a deep pot ( I used claypot), boil the 2 litres of water and add in the chicken meat, garlic bulbs and soup base sachets. I used 2 sachets to get a stronger taste of the herbs and spices.
- Cover the pot with lid and let it simmer for 30mins.
- Season with dark soya sauce, oyster sauce, light soya sauce, ground white pepper and salt.
- Simmer for another 15 mins.
- Add in the shitake mushroom, button mushroom, eggs and dried tofu puffs.
- Simmer for another 10 mins and remove the sachets.
- Check the final taste of the broth and adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Add in the lettuce just before serving.
- Serve with white rice topped with fried shallot, cakoi and cut bird's eye chilly for the ummpphh.
ENJOY....this is a dish that I love to make during cold weather.....it was raining here and it was a perfect meal!!