Before I was married, I've never had any special interest in KEERAI KADAIYAL. Maybe its because I get to taste this curry atleast once a week made by mum. Sometimes I even did grumbled to mum on why is she making this same curry every week (it was one of mum's favourite) Mum will just smile it off.
Now after being married, I long for this kinda traditional curry not only because its yummy but its a healthy treat especially for my toddlers. My sons love it because its mild in taste and I am a happy mother!!
You may use any type of spinach/siru keerai to make this . I made this curry for lunch yesterday accompanied by fish sambal and papadams. Simple lunch for my beloved family. Ok then, lets check out the recipe. I'm delighted to share this special recipe of my mum with all of you. Do try it !! :-)
^ KEERAI KADAIYAL / SPINACH DHAL CURRY ^
1 bunch - Spinach / Siru Keerai ~ washed and cut
1 - potato ~ skinned and cubed *
1 medium - brinjal ~ cubed *
3 cloves - garlic*
3/4 cup - toor dhall ~ I used mixed dhall*
bird's eye chilly - I used only 2-3 bcoz of my toddler*
1/2 tsp - turmeric powder*
1 tsp - fennel powder*
water - as needed *
2 tsp - tamarind paste
1/3 cup - coconut milkSalt to taste
4-5 small onions ~ chopped finely
3 - dried chilly ~ cut into 1 inch long
1/2 tsp - mustard seeds
1/2 tsp - cumin seeds
2-3 tbsp - cooking oil
- Cook item marked * (dhall, garlic, turmeric powder, fennel powder, potato, brinjal, salt, 1 tspn of oil, bird's eye chilly) in a deep pot/wok. Cook till dhall is soft and mushy.
- Add in the green leafy vege (i used spinach). Cook until the vege turns into a bright green colour and switch off the stove.
- Transfer the cooked gravy to a bowl and let it cool down completely.
- Grind it batch by batch in a food processor/blender (I prefer to grind it a bit rough/don't grind it to a smooth paste) and transfer it back to a pot.
- Meanwhile make the tempering and add into the gravy. On the stove and let the gravy simmer. Season with salt and tamarind paste.
- Lastly add in a little coconut milk to give it a rich taste if you prefer to.
- After a slow boil switch off the stove and serve with white rice. I had mine with fish sambal and papadams!!