Whenever I'm out of idea on what to cook, bihun / vermicelli is one of my answer. Its not only simple to make but have variety of different style to make it.Cantonese Style, Hainanase Style, Mamak Style, Bihun Soup, Bihun Siam, Singapore Bihun or even the most simple white traditional indian style bihun which I love to have with sardine curry. So yummy.....and many varieties, hhhmmmmm.....
I have had Mee Hailam which is also called as Hainanese Noodles before. Quite liked the taste so I wanted to try it out using bihun..... it turned out quite well.....though it was my first attempt. My sons especially the younger one who loves to run around during meal time actually sat in one place and keep asking me for more. I was really happy :-)
OK lets dig into the recipe....
^ HAINANESE STYLE FRIED BIHUN / VERMICILLI ^
500gm - bihun / vermicelli ~ soaked in water
4 cloves - garlic ~ roughly chopped
150g - chicken ~ i used chic parts with bone and skinned
100g - medium prawns - washed, peeled and deveined
100g- fish cake@ thinly sliced or fishballs ~ halved
1/2 cup - mustard greens / sawi ~ cut into 1 inch long
1/4 cup - scallion / daun bawang ~ chopped optional
1/4 cup chinese celery / daun sup - chopped (optional)
3 - 4 birds eye chilly - thinly sliced (optional)
2 tbsp - light soya sauce
4 tbsp - dark soya sauce
3 tbsp - oyster sauce
1 tsp - sugar
1/2 tspn ground pepper
200ml - water
salt to taste
Method : -
- In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the gravy and set aside.
- Season the chicken pieces and prawns with a little sesame oil, white pepper powder, knorr powder/chic stock and 1 tsp of corn flour. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Fry the garlic until aromatic and add in the marinated chicken pieces, fry a little while and then add in the prawns and fish cake/fishballs. Stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add in the gravy sauce and bird's eye chilly and lower the heat. Add needed water and bring it to a boil.
- Throw in the drained bihun and increase the heat.
- Add in the mustard greens (I didn't add this coz no stock) and cover with lid. Let it cook for 3-5 mins over medium heat.
- Add in the scallion and chinese celery just before dishing out.
- Scatter fried shallots over the noodles and serve immediately with sliced chillies.